Barnes Park is situated in the heart of Sunderland; the park was first opened in 1909 covering 14.6 hectares. Barnes Park was restored as part of a regeneration project funded by the Heritage Lottery Parks for People Fund, Sunderland City Council and CDENT. The £3.6 million project to regenerate Barnes Park commenced in October 2009 and took 18 months to complete. Improvements to the park included two new play areas, the creation of a Sensory Garden, new bridges over the stream and lake, specialist disability changing room and toilets, building of a grand staircase and amphitheatre style seating around the refurbished bandstand. Heritage features within the park including the gates, railings and bandstand were all renovated. Replacement gates were built for the main entrance at Durham Road. Facilities within the park include two bowling greens, a multi use games area, café, toilets and two car parks.