Long Bay is a busy seaside park, protecting the most northern of the east coast bays and lying adjacent to the Long Bay - Okura Marine Reserve.
Maori occupants of Long Bay gave it the name Oneroa, meaning long expanse of sand. Ngäti Kahu was the main tribal group to live here until European settlement began in the 1850s.
The Vaughan family bought 600 hectares at Long Bay in 1862 and farmed sheep on the property during the next 100 years. George Vaughan built the Vaughan Homestead as a farm cottage in 1863. It was extended and altered over the years but the Torbay Historical Society has restored it to its present form.
The Vaughan family ran the current picnic areas as a camping ground until they sold the park to the Auckland Regional Council in 1965.
Among the park’s interesting historic sites is a World War II gun emplacement north of the beach (on the Coastal Walk). This was part of a defence network to protect the Waitemata harbour from Japanese invasion.