Maunu Cemetery and Crematorium is situated 6.5km west of Whangarei in Cemetery Road off State Highway 14 (the Whangarei to Dargaville highway).
It is set in over 90 acres of rolling countryside, with beautiful bush clad valleys and pockets of remnant native trees. The cemetery is maintained to a high standard by our staff, who have an office on site. Visitors are welcome to walk around the grounds and to search for genealogical information.
Maunu was first surveyed for a cemetery in November 1892. In 1898 two hectares of land were vested in the Maunu Cemetery Trustees until January 1922 when the Whangarei Borough Council took over control. In 1949 3.1 hectares were bought adjacent to the early cemetery and a further 2.3 hectares in 1960 from Dr G Walker. There have since been further additions to the cemetery grounds.
The cemetery today
Maunu Park is the main cemetery for the district and has the capacity for burials, cremations, ash burials and scattering of ashes.
Cremations take place in the crematorium six days a week and the crematorium chapel, set in glades of native bush, is available for small family services and committals.