In 1951, the Botanical Garden was established in Quinta do Campo Alegre. With an area of around 4 hectares, the Botanical Garden is a place of reference in Porto. It has been shaped across different periods of time and its historical value is evidenced by the preservation of the botanic collections and layout of the gardens. With its main entrance located on Rua de Campo Alegre, the Garden is also home to the Hall of Biodiversity – CCV, a museum where art meets science and natural history.
The Botanical Garden is currently organized in three tiers with distinct characteristics. The first tier includes the formal gardens, separated by high hedges of centenary camellias and influenced by the Arts and Crafts movement. The formal gardens are divided into several spaces: the groves, the Shale Garden, the Fish Garden, the Rose Garden and the “Jays” Garden. The green houses and the xerophyte garden inhabit the intermediate levels. To the south, at lower levels and occupying approximately half of the Garden, coexist woody plants of various bioclimatic regions of the world.
Scenic, floral and literary elements coexist in what was once an inspirational place to Sophia de Mello Breyner Andresen and Rúben Andresen Leitão, two famous Portuguese writers.