Elsecar Park and Reservoir Local Nature Reserve is located on the edge of Elsecar, an attractive conservation village adjacent the Elsecar Heritage Centre. Exploring the Park you will find grass swathes, a terraced garden, bandstand and more relaxed wooded areas. The park offers a range of facilities including a café, toilets, play area, pitch & put and crazy golf. Its history can be traced back to the 1920's and is subject to a trust arrangement. The park covers 18.92 hectares and is divided into two main areas, known as the top park and bottom park. The top park is adjacent to the reservoir, where various activities take place and where galas and fun fairs have been held; the bottom park is principally devoted to flower beds and herbaceous borders, and also contains the bandstand, terraced gardens,children's sand pit and picnic area. In the early 1930's Elsecar became a popular location for a day out and visitors from Sheffield would travel by rail to escape the grime of the city. The area became branded 'Elsecar-by-the Sea' because an artificial beach was created around the banks of the reservoir. Elsecar Reservoir Local Nature Reserve (LNR) is of considerable natural value containing a large area of mature willow carr, acid grassland, a large water area and associated water fringe habitats. A bird hide and pond dipping area are located on the north bank. The reservoir is popular with anglers, bird watchers and walkers alike and links into the Trans Pennine Trail via the Timberland Trail.
For latest news find us on Face Book @Elsecar Park