Sconce & Devon Park is the largest area of public open space in the Newark area (13ha) and contains sports pitches, a local nature reserve, children’s play facilities and heritage features.
The Sconce Hills end of the park has a children’s play area, parking and public toilets (summer only) as well as the Queen’s Sconce, a large Civil War earthwork which is a Scheduled Ancient Monument and which was built by the Royalist defenders of Newark between 1644 and 1645.
The Devon Park area, as well as having open grass and woodland, is a football centre with 2 adult and 4 mini-soccer pitches. A new football changing pavilion, leased by the Council to Newark Town Football Club and part-funded by the Football Foundation, has recently been built.
Devon Pastures Local Nature Reserve is located beside the River Devon and comprises oak woodland and wet meadows as well as aquatic habitats. In the late 19th century the area was used as a bleaching ground for the linen industry and still retains a high pH as a result of this.
The site-based Sconce & Devon Ranger carries out maintenance and patrols the park as well as leading a regular programme of events and community involvement.
With the recent completion of a £1.8million ‘Parks for People’ improvement project Sconce & Devon Park is set to reclaim its place as 'Newark's favourite playground'.