Vivary Park is located in the heart of Taunton at the end of the High Street. The park occupies 7.5 hectares of land that was formerly a medieval fish farm, or vivarium, for the priory and Taunton Castle. There are no visible remains of the lakes now, but this ancient use lives on in the parks name Vivary. A new lake was created during the 1980s to add an interesting feature to the landscape. The park was laid out in 1895. The front gates, bandstand and one shelter date from this time. The fountain was commissioned as a memorial to the late Queen Victoria and unveiled in 1907. Restoration with assistance of the Heritage Lottery Fund has returned the park to its original condition, and it was re-open by the Queen in May 2002. A number of trees, rose beds and herbaceous borders provide a backdrop to the park. In addition each year around 56,000 spring and summer bedding plants are used to create the colourful bedding displays. Included in the park are two children's play areas, model railway, boating lake, sensory garden and a café is located by the adjacent golf course. Since 1851 the park has been the venue for public events and the annual Taunton flower show. Throughout the year the park is used for a lively events programme such as band concerts, Pop and Proms concerts, Flower show, May Fair and a travelling circus.